Recently, someone asked me if there’s a way to connect MailChimp to Google Analytics, track what links people click.
The answer is YES!
Below are the steps you need to take to track MailChimp clicks in Google Analytics.
Why Add Google Analytics Information
MailChimp already has fairly robust email campaign information, which can be found under the top level navigation link Reports. On this page, you see things like percentage of opens, top links clicked, subscribers with the most opens, and top countries by opens.
But sometimes you might need more granular information. For instance, you might want to know if people in a certain city or region are clicking links in your MailChimp campaigns. That’s why you would want to add addition information using Google Analytics.
Accessing MailChimp Integrations
After you’ve signed in to both your MailChimp and Google Analytics accounts, you’ll want to find Integrations in your MailChimp account.
1. Click on your profile info in the top right corner of MailChimp, then click Account.
2. Click on Integrations.
3. There will be a list of services that integrate with MailChimp. Click Google: Analytics, Contacts, and Docs.
4. A button will appear that says, Authorize Connection. Go ahead and click that button.
If you haven’t logged into your Google Analytics account, you’ll be prompted to do so at this point.
5. Your Google account will ask you if you want to grant access to MailChimp to your Google account. Go ahead and click the Grant access button, and you’ll return to your MailChimp account.
You should see a success message like the one below. This means you are ready to send email campaigns with Google Analytics tracking.
Now we have to add tracking to your email campaigns.
Add Google Analytics Tracking To MailChimp Campaigns
1. In the top navigation in your MailChimp account, click on Campaigns.
2. In the top right corner, click Create Campaign.
3. In Campaign Builder, when you get to the Setup phase, scroll down to the section labelled Tracking. Check the box that is marked Google Analytics link tracking.
What MailChimp does after you click this box is show the title as it will appear in Google Analytics after you send this campaign, so you know what to look for. MailChimp also automatically adds the date to make this campaign report easier to find in Google Analytics.
Reading Campaign Info In Google Analytics
Okay, so now you’ve created your email campaign and sent it out to your list. Now how do you find the click information in Google Analytics?
1. Find the particular website property you are tracking. You should be on the Reports tab.
2. On the left hand navigation, click Acquisition. This will reveal a submenu of acquisition channels.
3. On the Acquisition submenu, click Campaigns.
4. In the Campaigns submenu, click All Campaigns. Your integrated MailChimp campaigns will show up here.
5. To filter clicks by secondary segments, such as User City, use the Secondary Dimension drop-down above the report information.